Pop-up explanations and images in every flashcard, with direct links to the relevant AMBOSS Article
Perfectly targeted Qbank sessions—based on your Anki progress or specifically chosen tags
Works on laptop, mobile, and with all flashcards (personal or public decks)
Copy and paste the following code into Anki, or click here for manual download.
Get pop-up explanations, supporting images, and direct links to relevant AMBOSS material—in all your flashcards and decks.
Get targeted practice questions that perfectly match the specific Anki material you want to consolidate—all with one click.
The add-on works on all Anki apps, be it mobile or PC, so you can supercharge every review session—wherever and whenever you use Anki.
Backed by peer-reviewed research and the USMLE® experiences of thousands of students, Anki is a proven spaced-repetition tool.
The following videos offer an intro to Anki as a study tool—tips on how to most effectively use Anki throughout med school, foundational study techniques to combine AMBOSS and Anki, and an exclusive look into the Anki Mastery Course—all delivered by the ultimate Anki expert: the AnKing.
Two challenges all medical students face are not only covering vast amounts of info, but also developing the long-term memory to recall that info for exams and clinical experiences. And here’s the problem: Your brain is programmed to optimize, so it removes knowledge you don’t routinely need (like small details on exams).
That’s where Anki comes in, helping you to:
• Strategically review content spaced out over time, using a method called spaced repetition.
• Ease your workload, save time, and maximize your knowledge retention by integrating your previous recall performance as opposed to showing randomly selected cards.
• Automate the repetition interval you need with built-in algorithms, which prevent you from forgetting details and promote long-term retention. This is called: “Flattening the Forgetting Curve.”
Why to build your foundations with Anki:
• Anki takes the guesswork out of studying. It automates your review schedule and measures your progress as you go.
• A reliable study & review schedule with Anki means confidence before exams plus more efficient studying, giving you time back for personal activities and wellness.
• In case you need a recommendation ;) – the AnKing deck is a free resource that delivers the most up-to-date, comprehensive collection of flashcards to prepare medical students for in-house assessments and ensure success on the USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 examinations.
Use the AMBOSS add-on to link up with a medical library containing more than ‘20,000 medical topics
• AMBOSS x Anki is a powerful learning combination that provides a seamless connection between the cards you need to review and exam-relevant content in the AMBOSS Library, helping you close learning gaps quickly with all the info you need.
• Hover over recognized terms in your cards for quick summaries with pop-up explanations, then review topics more in-depth as needed with the side-by-side format of Anki and the AMBOSS Library.
• As Nick says, there’s a lot of medicine to learn, and the AMBOSS add-on is here to help!
Extra Tips for Reviewing Cards
• To retain your knowledge as best as possible and for Anki’s algorithm to help you get there, it’s important to do your scheduled Anki cards every day.
• The Anki algorithm uses your feedback to customize your tool use and make sure you are maximizing your knowledge retention. To schedule cards effectively, provide feedback on cards with the following guidelines (and be honest for best results!):
• Pomodoro Timer
• Get Total Card Count to Zero!
• Review right & wrong answer explanations with unique teaching points
• Online Lecture Series
• Class Lectures
• AMBOSS Articles
• Unsuspend Cards
• Get Total Card Count to Zero!
You can do a LOT with Anki, but it can be easy to get lost in features! The Anki Mastery Course provided by our AnKing partners helps you dive into this world of more “advanced” Anki.
• Learn about all kinds of options to customize and adjust the tool to your personal needs, including displays and card creation or adjusting your schedule around weekends, holidays, or exams.
• The Mastery Course also provides additional tips for gamifying your Anki experience and making your study experience a little bit more fun.
Complete the learning loop when you apply the knowledge you’ve been learning & remembering in Anki to AMBOSS practice questions that will prepare you for exam day.
• It’s important to do many unique questions in order to prepare properly and simulate exam experiences. The AMBOSS Qbank with 5,700+ high yield USMLE questions offers an ideal blend of active learning through recall and application.
• The AMBOSS Qbank is also engineered with many smart features to help guide your learning & critical thinking process as you work through questions. Answer explanations, highlights, and “Attending Tips” in AMBOSS can be useful for updating your cards and helping you get it right next time!
Hover over medical terms in your flashcards to instantly see their pop-up explanations and click through to get to their corresponding articles in the AMBOSS library. You can instantly strengthen your weaker areas or dive deeper if you need more context.
Learn more here.
We’ve now made it easier than ever to perfectly match your practice questions to the Anki material you wish to consolidate. Whether you want to test only the concepts in your matured cards or wish to target specific tags or decks—all it takes is one click in the AMBOSS add-on.
Learn more here.
Two possible ways to get the AMBOSS add-on
• The add-on is compatible with Anki 2.1.35 and higher and their standard builds. You can download the latest version here.
• It’s free to try, but you do need an AMBOSS account. Create one now—it takes less than a minute.
• It is now also available for your iOS and Android mobile devices! Learn how to enable mobile support here.
• The add-on works with any Anki deck.
• Make sure you’re using the official AMBOSS add-on which can only be downloaded from this page. If you’ve downloaded it from anywhere else, please contact customer support from our Help Center.